Forensic Criminology City Colleges’ Professional Diploma
- Build on the key areas in criminology and forensic psychology
- Pre Recorded – Delivered On Demand
- Course access available from Wednesday 28th February 2024 – Book Now!
- Access for 12 weeks
- 12 -13 weeks to send in the assignment
- Suit your own schedule and start anytime
- Please note: The Advanced Diploma in Forensic Criminology is only open to those students who have successfully completed the Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology
‘Forensic” is where science meets law and/or criminal justice and ‘criminology’ is the scientific study of crime. This new Advanced Diploma in Forensic Criminology will build on the key areas in criminology and forensic psychology previously examined by students on City Colleges renowned Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology. (Note: the Advanced Diploma in Forensic Criminology is only open to those students who have successfully completed the Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology at City Colleges].
Students will build on their knowledge within the fields of both criminology and forensic psychology. They will gain further academic and applied knowledge and understanding regarding a range of matters surrounding forensic criminology, including areas such as, personality disorders, prisons & penology, police & policing and adults, juveniles, sentencing & the criminal justice system.
This course is offered from our Dublin City Centre location (South Great George’s Street, Dublin 2) and online nationwide.
This event has been approved for CPD credits for members of the Psychology Society of Ireland.
The aims of our Advanced Diploma in Forensic Criminology course are to:
- Provide students/learners with advanced knowledge in, and understanding and comprehension of certain principles; concepts; theories; applications and contexts of forensic criminology and the relationship between these subjects and respective discipline areas.
- Support student/learners in developing a critical set of perspectives with which they may analyse, evaluate, and demonstrate a critical understanding of the differing perspectives of forensic criminology.
- Provide students/learners with a clear and current body of relevant and current knowledge; information, terminology and definitions; academic and practical sources and case studies; and examples of evidence, in order that they may develop their skills and their use and application of these in the field areas of forensic criminology and related academic and/or career and/or professional practice.
- Provide students/learners with a variety of further transferable skills to support participants in the practical application of these in clinical, educational, criminal justice, related professional areas, and personal contexts where this may be appropriate given the level of training, experience and qualifications of the student.
- Personality Disorders
- Prisons & Penology
- Police & Policing
- Adults, Juveniles, Sentencing & the Criminal Justice System
The Advanced Diploma in Forensic Criminology is only open to those students who have successfully completed the Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology at City Colleges
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding the Advanced Diploma.
Students are assessed by way of a 1,500-word assignment.
John Deane-O’Keeffe is a Criminologist and Lecturer in Forensic Psychology and Law.
Each week he talks to guests about the current legal and criminological matters that affect all our lives. From sentencing to prison, from corporate fraud and back to your rights as a consumer and a citizen, ‘Law Matters’ uncovers the legal tapestry in which we all live and work.
John Deane-O’Keeffe FRSA, MRHistS, LLMin.
M.St. (Cantab.) PgDipCrim. (Cantab.) Magister in Gister Studiorum (ad eundem Cantab.) (TCD) MA (Laws) PgDipLaw, DipLS, LL.B., BA (UCD) C.CTP (TCD) C.HEd (Oxon.)
John Deane-O’Keeffe is a Forensic Criminologist, Lecturer in Criminal Law, Minister and Theologian. He is also a Journalist and Radio Broadcaster.
John is Dean, Faculty of Criminology & Policing Studies at City Colleges, Dublin where he is also lectures in Criminal Law on the FE1 programme. He was also a Magistrate in England where he sat on the Northumbrian Bench and is a Senior Lecturer in Criminology at St Mark & St John University, Plymouth. Additionally, he is a Tutor in the Department of Continuing Education at the University of Oxford, where he lectures on a range of courses across forensic criminology & theology.
John is formerly Adjunct Faculty at Trinity College Dublin where he was Assistant Professor in the School of Psychology. He also spent a decade as Head of the Law School at Dublin Business School and was Communications Director and Editor of the Garda Review at the Garda Representative Association. John also worked for many years in the City of London as a Banker in UBS where he was an Associate Director in the Risk Management Division before holding the position of Assistant Director in the Legal Department (Debt & Derivatives) at Investment Bank, ING Barings.
John has undertaken undergraduate studies in History, Law and Theology at UCD, TCD, Bristol and the University of Oxford and holds post graduate degrees in Forensic Criminology and Law from TCD, London Met and the University of Cambridge. He has held and holds a number of visiting posts in UK Universities and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a Member of the Royal Historical Society and works as a Lay Minister in the Church of Ireland. John has a special interest in history and theology and the intersection of these two disciplines with all aspects of the criminal justice system.
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact Kevin.Coyne@citygroup.ie for further details.
1. Personality Disorders
Latest developments in research on personality disorders with particular emphasis on emotional and impulsive personality disorders as they relate to criminality and innovative new treatment programmes. Case Studies.
2. Prisons & Penology
A review of the most recent research into best practice in prisons, prison and offender management. An examination of the modern punishment of crime within these jurisdictions alongside, developments in maximum and ‘super-max’ prisons globally.
3. Police & Policing
A review of police interviewing and interrogation and modern practice of same including criminal investigations, criminal profiling and victims and victimology in the 21st century across Europe.
4. Adults, Juveniles, Sentencing & the Criminal Justice System.
An examination of the latest developments in crime and punishment in the Republic of Ireland and other common law jurisdictions including recent legislative changes, sentencing, restorative justice and rehabilitative practices generally for both and adult and juvenile offender.
Bad Men in Good Jobs
Personality Disorders, Psychopathy & Putin
John Deane-O’Keefe FRSA, MRHistS
Criminologist & Lecturer in Forensic Psychology
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.