The Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies is a three-year (180 credit) Honours Degree programme which is a Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications. The programme has two primary streams: business management and accounting, allowing learners choose (in the final award year) one stream. These two streams differentiate those learners who wish to submit applications to the accounting professional bodies for exemptions and continue their career within the accounting domain, while the management stream facilitates learners who wish to continue their career within the general field of business.
The programme aims to equip business professionals with relevant tools to navigate the evolving business landscape in Ireland, and instil dispositions enabling learners to implement the most effective and efficient responses to business challenges, while being able to think critically about their roles as professionals within these working contexts.
Aims and Objectives
The Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Business Studies provides the learner with a general education in business related subjects and includes an opportunity to choose either an ‘accounting’ or ‘management’ stream in the award year. The chosen modules provide a solid foundation, prepares them for a career within the accounts department and/or progress further with one of the professional accounting bodies to qualify as an accountant. Or, having chosen the management stream prepares them for a career within business. The programme sets the foundation for progression to study at postgraduate level within a specific field of accounting or business.
More specifically, the programme aims to provide the learner with the knowledge, skills, and competence to:
- Successfully gain employment in the general business area as a trainee manager/supervisor.
- Apply models, techniques of accounting to assist the accounting function within a small to medium business.
- Gain exemptions from the professional accountancy bodies.
- Further their education at Level 9 in accounting, general business, or a related discipline (in Ireland or abroad) or register with one of the professional accounting bodies.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- Support learners to develop the social and communications skills necessary to develop a career in business;
- Develop the learner’s ability to investigate, critique, evaluate and analyse theories, concepts, techniques and models to identify and implement solutions to business related problems.
- Enhance the learner’s knowledge of the interrelationships and inter dependences of the various business functions;
- Provide a learning environment that encourages and supports education at honours degree level;
- Provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further education at Level 9 or seek exemptions from one of the professional accounting bodies;
- Broaden the learner’s knowledge of business to include international markets for business growth;
- Provide learners with an environment that develops and supports time management, reflection, learning to learn skills that are necessary in business.
|Stage||Management Stream||Accounting Stream||Personal & Professional Development Stream||IT Stream||Marketing Stream|
|1||Management||Economics 1 Financial Accounting||Academic Writing Skills/Personal Development||IT Essentials||Marketing|
|2||Organisational Behaviour HRM Operations Management||Management Accounting Financial Management Economics 2||Business Ethics||Information Systems||Digital Marketing|
|3||Strategic Business Management Project Management||Principles of Taxation Financial Reporting Audit Performance Management||Principles of Entrepreneurship||Enterprise: Design and Innovation|
Applicants will be admitted onto the programme once they have produced evidence to satisfy the following entry criteria:
- A grade H5 or above in two higher level leaving certificate subjects together with a minimum of O6/H7 in four other subjects. This should include:
- A grade of O6/ H7 or above in Leaving Certificate English,
- A grade O6/H7 or above in Mathematics;
- Holders of a FETAC/QQI major award Level 5 Certificate in Business (or equivalent) or QQI/FETAC major award Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business (or equivalent) can apply for entry onto the programme.
- English language competency to CEFRL B2+ (IELTS 6) for international students whose first language is not English.