Our Diploma in Finance focusses on helping those working outside of finance to get a good understanding of what finance is about and how it can be useful in business decision-making. The course aims to de-mystify some of those numbers and accounting matters; come to this course and ask those questions about finance that you were afraid to ask!
Students can take this course in the classroom and receive a QQI Level 6 Finance Award.
In a clear and simplified manner, the lectures will be delivered with the aim of ensuring each participant is equipped with knowledge of “how finance works” in decision making. The aim is to provide participants with a solid base in the principles of finance, with practical examples on how to apply those.
The Diploma in Finance will take place one evening per week for three hours over 10 weeks in our city-centre location on South Great George’s Street, Dublin 2. Each course comprises of 30 contact hours. The course is also available live online.
The Diploma in Finance focuses on the following areas;
1. Investigate the external environment and regulatory framework with regard to financial reporting within which organisations operate and the types of financial statements organisations are required to produce
2. Analyse financial statements in the context of nonfinancial to include a rationale for conclusions drawn
3. Evaluate a range of financial statements using ratio analysis drawing appropriate conclusions
4. Evaluate the role and value of budgeting to include the different types of budgets appropriate for use within different contexts
5. Interpret budgeting data and cash flow projections to establish a rationale for planning and decision-making purposes
6. Utilise marginal and absorption costing statements to include an analysis of their application in making key management decisions, and a schedule of the differences between both methods
7. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of cost classification to include the differences between the different cost behaviors as they react to changes in activity levels
8. Price products and services to include an analysis of margin and mark up and the importance of the time value of money
9. Apply Cost Volume Profit analysis to include the calculation, illustration, and interpretation of the breakeven point, margin of safety, and contribution per unit for an organisation
10. Assess different methods of investment appraisal to include a determination of whether or not investments should proceed
11. Calculate the Net Present Value (NPV) and Internal Rate of Return (IRR)s
12. Assess the difference between cash flow and profit and the relevance of cash flow to capital investment appraisal
13. Schedule the uses and sources of short-term, medium-term, and long-term funding with reference to financial credit facilities, Return on Investment (ROI), and legal requirements.
If you are working in a non-finance role and would like to improve your understanding of business finance and a little bit of accounting this is the course for you. As you move into more senior managerial positions, upskilling to know about finance will help you in your role as it will give you a better understanding of how useful some financial knowledge is to business decision-making.
All modules are assessed through submission of assignments throughout the course.
A ‘Pass’ grade overall on the timely submission of written assignments as well as in-class/live online attendance is required to achieve the Diploma.
It is expected that, except in exceptional circumstances, that students will attend all course sessions either in-person or live online (or a combination of both).
Award: QQI Level 6 Finance Award
Classroom: QQI Level 6 Finance Award
Online: City Colleges Diploma in Finance
Eimear has recently joined City Colleges. She has many years of experience dealing with matters financial. She trained as a chartered accountant and worked for many years up until recently in practice with KPMG in both Ireland and Canada as well as in a financial role in the leasing industry. The most recent role with KPMG involved presenting on various financial accounting courses to management. She has experience of many industries including financial services, real estate, aviation, pharmaceuticals to name just a few. She has extensive knowledge of financial reporting of public listed companies as well as private ones and has a particular interest and expertise financial instruments. Her experience means she is well-placed to help explain finance beyond the theory and focus then on how it operates in practice and can be useful in business decision-making.
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.