PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN AVIATION LEASING AND FINANCE
Price Starting At €895
Thanks to aviation, our world is more interconnected than ever before—it affords us the opportunity to explore far-off countries and experience new cultures, peoples, philosophies, and points-of-view; it connects us in-person with distant friends, family, and colleagues; it ensures that the packages we’ve ordered online reach our front doorsteps.
None of this would be possible, however, without the aircraft leasing and finance sector, which although relatively young, has already had a profound and far-reaching impact on the world.
The Professional Diploma in Aviation Leasing & Finance at City Colleges is an executive-level programme intended to provide participants with a comprehensive and commercially focused introduction to this dynamic and globally important industry.
Over ten (10) sessions students will explore and engage the core principles and concepts fundamental to understanding this industry.
Students who study the Professional Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance will learn first-hand from industry experts and current practitioners with specialised knowledge in the field.
The Professional Diploma in Aviation Leasing & Finance is run over ten (10) sessions comprising of three-hour lectures totalling 30 hours. The course can be done on demand and at your own pace.
Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance content can be completed at your own pace.
Topic 1: Introduction to Aviation Leasing & Finance and Industry Overview & Landscape
- Course overview and timeline
- Introduction to commercial aviation
- History of the aircraft leasing industry
- Ireland as a centre of excellence
- Basics of aviation leasing and finance
- Aircraft leasing vs. ownership—the pros and cons
- Types of leases (i.e., operating lease, finance lease, wet lease, dry lease, synthetic lease, tax lease, etc.)
- Typical multijurisdictional transaction structures
Topic 2: Aircraft Operating Leases
- Introduction to aircraft operating leases
- The leasing life cycle (i.e., pre-delivery, delivery, operations, and redelivery)
- Essential lease provisions and clauses
- Key lessor and lessee concerns and considerations
- Common negotiation points
- Lease negotiation—art vs. science
Topic 3: Aviation Finance
- Introduction to investing in aircraft assets
- Raising capital and methods of fleet financing
- The importance of diversification
- Considerations for aircraft financiers and lenders (i.e., security interests, enforcement, etc.)
Topic 4: Principles of Aircraft Selection
- Foundations of fleet planning—the three golden rules
- Aircraft performance
- Aircraft economics
- Perspectives on aircraft selection—airlines vs. lessors vs. OEMs
Topic 5: Aircraft Operating Lessors and Aircraft Trading
- Overview of aircraft operating lessors
- Common business models
- Aircraft marketing strategies
- Leasing portfolio management
- Overview of the aircraft secondary market
- Common sell- and buy-side transaction types
- Acquisition and sales process of used aircraft
- Transferability considerations
- Key transaction documentation and the Global Aircraft Trading System (GATS)
Topic 6: Aircraft Maintenance Compensation
- Basics of aircraft maintenance compensation development and management
- Maintenance compensation mechanisms (i.e., cash reserves, end-of-lease adjustments, letters of credit, etc.)
- Sources of maintenance data
- Reserve economics (i.e., cost drivers, rate determination, escalation, etc.)
- Maintenance exposure analysis
Topic 7: Lease Pricing and Aircraft Valuation & Appraisal
- Modeling a lease transaction
- Evaluation metrics—NPV vs. IRR
- Sensitivity and scenario analyses
- Calculating minimum lease payments
- Introduction to aircraft appraisals
- Purpose of an appraisal
- Appraisal process
- Valuation methodologies
- Appraisal firms
Topic 8: Risk & Repossessions and Airline Credit Analysis
- Types of risks faced by aircraft operating lessors (i.e., market risk, asset risk, counterparty credit risk, jurisdictional risk, etc.)
- Effective risk mitigation and industry best practices
- Due diligence—understanding its importance and process overview
- Repossessions and extractions
- Emerging issues to consider
- Introduction to credit analysis
- Types of airlines and airline business models
- Quantitative and qualitative risk factors
- Credit scorecards
Topic 9: Legal & Regulatory Framework, Insurance, and Taxation
- Introduction to aviation law
- Multilateral air law treaties and current parties
- Cape Town Convention (i.e., aircraft objects, international interests, registration, connecting factors, remedies, etc.)
- Introduction to aviation insurance
- Types of insurance (i.e., hull insurance, liability insurance, war risk, additional coverage, etc.)
- Insurance parties
- Introduction to aviation tax
- Key taxation issues (i.e., residency, permanent establishment, trading requirement, capital allowances, tax treaties, etc.)
- Cross-border transaction considerations
- Recent changes in tax law impacting aircraft lessors and lessees
Topic 10: Closing, Career Session, and Career Panel & Networking Event
- Course recap
- What’s next for aviation in a post-COVID19 world?
- Discussion of final assignment requirements
- Course feedback and evaluations
- Overview of functional roles
- Recruiting advice and insights
- Industry associations and organisations
- Career panel discussion and Q&A session
Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance will be assessed as follows:
Final Written Assignment
Students will prepare and submit an individually written assignment of not more than 2,500 words in length, including notes and appendices. A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding the Aviation Leasing and Finance Professional Diploma. A fail grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded.
Further information on course assessment criteria will be provided on the first day of class.
Robert Russell is Programme Director and Senior Lecturer of the Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance at City Colleges.
As a current industry practitioner, he specialises in commercial aircraft trading and leasing at a top global operating lessor.
Robert holds a M.Sc. in Aviation Finance from the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School. He has also completed both the Diploma and Certificate in Aviation Leasing and Finance from the Law Society of Ireland as well as the Certificate in Aircraft Acquisition and Finance from the Institute of Technology Carlow.
Prior to joining the aviation industry, Robert spent over six years in the financial services sector in New York City and Dublin, focusing on corporate advisory and restructurings. He earned a B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, from Boston College in 2011.
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact Kevin.Coyne@citygroup.ie for further details.
Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance aims to ensure that successful participants:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the core principles and concepts applicable to aviation leasing and finance.
- Acquire practical working knowledge of aircraft operating leases and other forms of financing structures and documentation.
- Assess the inherent risks and rewards involved in investing in aircraft assets
Appreciate the underpinnings of the commercial and financial decision-making processes within aircraft operating lessors.
- Develop familiarity with key legal, regulatory, taxation, and insurance issues pertaining to the sector and market participants.
- Foster industry awareness and business acumen.
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.