Study in a classroom environment one evening a week.
Price from €995
(Instalment Price: €1095)
Live online training with real-time instructor-student interaction.
Price from €895
(Instalment Price: €995)
A flexible online approach developed to allow you to learn at your own pace.
Price from €795
(Instalment Price: N/A)
Diploma in Construction Law course is designed for construction, engineering and legal professionals.
The course provides a detailed overview of the Irish construction law landscape.
In this rapidly developing area of law, this diploma analyses the core regulatory provisions of the construction site from the perspective of employers, contractors, sub-contractors, and architects.
Week 1 Overview of Construction law and introduction to the Irish legal system
• Court structures
• The construction process from initial conception of the project to demolition
• Key construction stakeholders
Week 2 Overview of the law of contract and tort
• Duty of care
• Liability for defective products
• Causation and remoteness
• Essential elements of a contract
• Conditions and warranties
• Vitiating factors to a contract
Week 3 The construction contract and the key stakeholders
• How construction contracts differ from other forms of contracts
• RIAI contracts
• FIDIC contracts
• PWC contracts
• Contractual amendments
• Key trends in construction contracts
• Construction administration
Week 4 Introduction to construction procurement
• Introduction to procurement contracts
• Tendering process
• Features of a tender
• Traditional build only contract
• Design and build contract
• Construction management contract
• Management contracting
• Public procurement directives
Week 5 Risk allocation
• Roles and responsibilities
• Practical certificate of completion
• Construction administration
• External factors
Week 6 Health and safety on the construction site
• Overview of health and safety regulations
• Risk allocation
• Recording of health and safety obligations
• Hazards and risks
Week 7 Construction insurance
• Interaction between construction, insurance and the law
• Responsibility and liability in construction
• Insurance clauses
• Professional indemnity insurance
• Alternative methods of insuring
Week 8 Alternative dispute resolution
• Advantages of non-litigious forums of resolution
• Arbitration Act, 2010
• Mediation Act, 2017
Week 9 The Construction Contracts Act
• Payment disputes
• Delay disputes
• Suspension of works under the Construction Contract Act
• The role of alternative dispute resolution in the construction process
• Construction adjudication
Week 10 Construction litigation
• Difficulties associated with construction litigation
• Civil procedure introduction
• Parties to litigation
• Who to sue?
• Law of evidence
• Comparative analysis
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma in Construction Law. A fail grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded.
The Diploma in Construction Law is assessed by way of written examination (70%) and continuous assessment (30%).
LLB, BL,(NUI),LL.M.(Dubl.),B.L.,Dip. Construction
Conor Duff B.L., Dean of Law at City Colleges, lectures in the areas of Contract and EU law for FE-1 students, a selection of City Colleges’ Professional programmes and our BA (Hons) in Business Studies programme.
Conor is a seasoned lecturer and has a proven track record of academic delivery across other colleges and Universities, including the Law Society of Ireland.
He is a graduate of Maynooth University (LL.B.) (Hons.), Trinity College Dublin (LL.M.), the Honorable Society of King’s Inns (B.L.) and the Law Society of Ireland (Dip. Construction Law). He graduated from Maynooth University and Trinity College with
first-class honours degrees with distinction for his LL.M. Dissertation. He is a member of the EBA, CBA and Members’ Committee of the Irish Society for European Law.
Conor has published widely in various national legal journals including the Commercial Law Practitioner and the ICLJ. Conor was a co-editor of the leading EU Treaties text which is permitted for use in FE-1 and QLTT examinations. In addition to his legal practice, Conor volunteers.
Alexandra Cowzer Byrne
Alexandra graduated with a first class law degree in 2018 from Maynooth University. She was called to the Bar in 2019. She has recently achieved a distinction in the Law Society Diploma in Construction Law. Since commencing at the Bar she has been developing her practice in the areas of commercial, construction and company law. Alexandra is also a lecturer in the Institute of Public Administration in employment law and has lectured on our undergraduate business degrees.
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact Kevin.Coyne@citygroup.ie for further details.
- Understand the legal foundations surrounding a construction contract
- Understand the diverse range of stakeholders to a construction contract
- Appreciate the impact and interaction of the law of tort and contract law in the construction process
- Demonstrate an understanding of statutory obligations surrounding the area of construction law inclusive of any health and safety legislation
- Be aware of and be able to advise on the appropriateness of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms specifically designed for construction disputes.
- Assess the implications of developments in relevant case law and legislation
- Evaluate and analyse how construction contracts are discharged, performed or breached
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.