Get a detailed understanding of the nature of crime scene investigation and its various components.
The purpose of the Diploma in Crime Scene Investigation is to equip learners (from a variety of professional or interested backgrounds) with a basic understanding of this growing area from a range of perspectives. In addition, practical crime scene information will be considered, including crime scene management, offender profiling and fingerprinting, to name but three. These will be related to the various theories of crime and offending. At the end of the course, learners will have a detailed understanding of the nature of crime scene investigation and its various components.
During this course the student will learn how to understand and record crime scene evidence that will assist in uncovering criminal activity. You will see case studies that demonstrate the importance of crime scene measurements, scaled drawings, photographing crime scenes, and preserving evidence. Students will grasp that with correct foundational theory and through proper collection of evidence, a crime scene can be reconstructed – and as a result – a theory can be formed about the crime.
Who Should Apply
Gardaí of all ranks, especially those who wish to expand their knowledge of Crime Scene Investigation. Those working in the criminal justice system in Ireland. Those in other careers whom are interested in modern developments in crime scene investigation.
- Background, History and Overview of Crime Scene Investigation
- “Every Contact Leaves a Trace” – Trace Evidence
- Crime Scene Investigation Practice, Procedure and Techniques
- DNA & Fingerprints
- Fire & Arson Investigation
- Firearms, Ammunition, Shooting Scenes and Explosives
- Crime Scenes, Related Legislation and Court Evidence
- Mass Fatality Incidents and Disaster Victim Identification
- Crime Scene Management and Forensic Strategy & Planning
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
Online course: €895
(€995 if paying in instalments)
If paying in instalments by direct debit, the deposit to book a place is €150 and the balance is split into three equal monthly payments.
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma.
Similarly, the assignment must be submitted on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
Why City Colleges
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre location
- Limited class size