This course provides students with the fundamental knowledge in Cybersecurity across all security domains. They will get acquainted with a broad range of concepts and techniques in Cybersecurity and learn how these are applied. Examples from real life situations will be given to enhance understanding and demonstrate their relevance.
Students will also be able to familiarise themselves with security utilities & tooling and practice with these in an online lab environment providing hands-on experience with some typical activities of security professionals.
- Average Cybersecurity Base Salary is €51k
- Ireland expected to add 10,000 people to its Cybersecurity workforce by 2030
- Ireland expected to grow this industry by €2.5bn in annual GVA in 8 years
In today’s world, resilience to cyber threats has become more and more important with cyber criminality rising all the time. In response, businesses need to enhance their cybersecurity organisations but increasingly face a shortage of skills. A career in cybersecurity is therefore becoming a sought after and interesting choice with attractive long-term perspectives.
This course is designed as an introductory course to the concepts of cybersecurity. Some previous background in information technology is helpful to students in this course. The course content is based on CompTIA’s Security+ certification exam preparation and includes:
- Comparing Security Roles and Security Controls
- Explaining Threat Actors and Threat Intelligence
- Performing Security Assessments
- Identifying Social Engineering and Malware
- Summarizing Basic Cryptographic Concepts
- Implementing Public Key Infrastructure
- Implementing Authentication Controls
- Implementing Identity and Account Management Controls
- Implementing Secure Network Designs
- Implementing Network Security Appliances
- Implementing Secure Network Protocols
- Implementing Host Security Solutions
- Implementing Secure Mobile Solutions
- Summarizing Secure Application Concepts
- Implementing Secure Cloud Solutions
- Explaining Data Privacy and Protection Concepts
- Performing Incident Response
- Explaining Digital Forensics
- Summarizing Risk Management Concepts
- Implementing Cybersecurity Resilience
- Explaining Physical Security
Fundamental Cybersecurity knowledge areas in particular:
- Attacks, Threats, and Vulnerabilities
- Security Architecture and Design
- Security Operations and Incident Response
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance
On passing this course you will be awarded the City Colleges
Diploma in Cybersecurity – Fundamentals
Taking the CompTIA Security+ certification exam is optional. Students who wish to sit for the official certification exam should visit www.comptia.org for more information on the requirements and fees. The registration fee for the official Security+ certification exam is not included in this lecture course. To successfully pass the certification exam, students will need to invest additional study time beyond the time spent in this class.
City Colleges Diploma (Preparation to take CompTIA’s Security+ examination – optional)
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
‘CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: Exam SY0–601, (8th edition) by Mike Chapple and David Seidl’.
*This book is available to buy on Amazon, please purchase this before the course commences.
Laptop or PC with an operating system of Windows 8 or newer is fine for this course, but an iPad is not recommended.
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding the Diploma.
Similarly, the Project must be handed in on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
Dr. Matthias Neuroth
Dr. Matthias Neuroth is a security and IT professional with over 20 years’ experience in a variety of industries. He has expertise in a broad range of cybersecurity and IT areas including infrastructure and application security, cloud security, cybersecurity operations, disaster recovery, software development and management of development and deployment of IT services.
He has a PhD in electrical engineering and obtained professional certifications in security and project management such as CISSP, CCSP, GICSP and PMP.
He has been a member of the teaching faculty in private and public organisations carrying out training in security and technology topics to young and experienced staff.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Live & fully online
- Archived for review
- City centre location
- Fully interactive
- Limited class sizes
Why City Colleges?
Industry Expert-led courses
Choose from one of our 100 courses, spanning 7 faculties, with over 16,000 graduates
Innovative and flexible study modes
Choose to study in one of our expertly led classroom and online environments
Deposit & instalment Options Available
Sign up to our courses with a deposit and structured payment plan.
We offer fully interactive classroom environment courses