Study in a classroom environment one evening a week.
Price from €995
(Instalment Price: €1095)
Live online training with real-time instructor-student interaction.
Price from €895
(Instalment Price: €995)
A flexible online approach developed to allow you to learn at your own pace.
Price from €795
(Instalment Price: N/A)
This course will provide students with an overview of the salient aspects of employment law applicable at each stage of the life cycle of the employment relationship.
This will include the theory, key pieces of legislation and relevant case law to highlight the practical application of employment law to the employment relationship.
The course will enable delegates to understand the legal environment within which the employment relationship exists.
1. Demonstrate a specialised knowledge of employment law principles and provisions and of the Irish legal system and the influence of European law on employment law in Ireland.
2. Evaluate the theoretical concepts and models relating to individual employment rights to include discrimination, maternity, adoptive and parental leave, part-time and fixed-term work, agency work, payment of wages, the organisation of working time, pensions, health and safety, equality and privacy
3. Apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to the contract of employment within the context of well-defined scenarios for a range of employee categories to include terms and conditions, pay and pension, termination, dismissal, leave, duties
4. Formulate an employer’s response to the impact of Data Protection and Freedom of Information in the management and maintenance of employee information in the workplace
5. Evaluate the role of employment legislation and institutions in combatting discrimination and harassment to promote equality in the workplace
6. Assess the facts in defined breaches of employment law and the legal procedures of redress and remedies available through labour relations institutions and the courts
7. Demonstrate a specialised understanding of the status, interpretation and implementation of collective bargaining
8. Appreciate the legal significance of Human Resource grievance and disciplinary policies and procedures within the context of dispute resolution strategies
9. Investigate the legislative framework of health, safety and welfare at work regulations with which employers and employees are legally obliged to comply
10. Evaluate the role and function of labour relations institutions and trade unions and the legal procedures of redress which apply under employment law
11. Report on the impact of a principal of employment law in a chosen vocational area based on a specific court case history.
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding the Diploma.
Dominic is a practising Barrister and has specialised in the area of employment law and dispute resolution. He holds post graduate qualifications in Arbitration Law and Human Resource Management.
He also works as a HR Consultant. He has worked with a range of organisations, unionised and non-unionised, in the public and private sector in Ireland and the UK. He has delivered lectures and training seminars and has published articles on a range of employment topics.
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact Kevin.Coyne@citygroup.ie for further details.
Students will gain a greater understanding of the many legal facets of the employment relationship and will be able to understand the legal obligations of managing the employment lifecycle from inception to end, and identify and minimise problems that arise throughout the course of the employment lifecycle.
Who Should Apply?
- HR professionals who advise line managers on a range of employee issues
- Line managers who want to further understand the mutual obligations of the employer and employee,
- Business owners who do not have a HR function and need to understand their obligations under employment law,
- HR professionals who work in the US or UK and have responsibility for an Irish operation/ subsidiary.
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.