Diploma in Employment Law Course Overview
Students can take this course in the classroom and receive a QQI Level 6 Employment Law Award. Alternatively, you can take this course online and receive a Diploma in Employment Law from City Colleges.
This course will provide students with an overview of the salient aspects of employment law applicable at each stage of the life cycle of the employment relationship. This will include the theory, key pieces of legislation and relevant case law to highlight the practical application of employment law to the employment relationship. The course will enable delegates to understand the legal environment within which the employment relationship exists.
This diploma is suitable for;
- HR professionals who advise line managers on a range of employee issues
- Line managers who want to further understand the mutual obligations of the employer and employee,
- Business owners who do not have a HR function and need to understand their obligations under employment law,
- HR professionals who work in the US or UK and have responsibility for an Irish operation/ subsidiary.
Students will gain a greater understanding of the many legal facets of the employment relationship and will be able to understand the legal obligations of managing the employment lifecycle from inception to end, and identify and minimise problems that arise throughout the course of the employment lifecycle.
Employment Law Student Experience
Employment Law Course Content
1. Demonstrate a specialised knowledge of employment law principles and provisions and of the Irish legal system and the influence of European law on Irish employment law
2. Evaluate the theoretical concepts and models relating to individual employment rights to include discrimination, maternity, adoptive and parental leave, part-time and fixed-term work, agency work, payment of wages, the organisation of working time, pensions, health and safety, equality and privacy
3. Apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to the contract of employment within the context of well-defined scenarios for a range of employee categories to include terms and conditions, pay and pension, termination, dismissal, leave, duties
4. Formulate an employer’s response to the impact of Data Protection and Freedom of Information in the management and maintenance of employee information in the workplace
5. Evaluate the role of employment legislation and institutions in combatting discrimination and harassment to promote equality in the workplace
6. Assess the facts in defined breaches of employment law and the legal procedures of redress and remedies available through labour relations institutions and the courts
7. Demonstrate a specialised understanding of the status, interpretation and implementation of collective bargaining
8. Appreciate the legal significance of Human Resource grievance and disciplinary policies and procedures within the context of dispute resolution strategies
9. Investigate the legislative framework of health, safety and welfare at work regulations with which employers and employees are legally obliged to comply
10. Evaluate the role and function of labour relations institutions and trade unions and the legal procedures of redress which apply under employment law
11. Report on the impact of a principal of employment law in a chosen vocational area based on a specific court case history.
Dominic is a practising Barrister and has specialised in the area of employment law and dispute resolution. He holds post graduate qualifications in Arbitration Law and Human Resource Management.
He also works as a HR Consultant. He has worked with a range of organisations, unionised and non-unionised, in the public and private sector in Ireland and the UK. He has delivered lectures and training seminars and has published articles on a range of employment topics.
Asynchronous Online – Enrol and Start Anytime
You can enrol directly for our Asynchronous Online option from this box. Just click on the Enrol button.
Diploma in Employment Law (Asynchronous Online)€695.00
Asynchronous Online Diploma in Employment Law
We are also taking bookings for our January 2021 Online courses…
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
(€995 if paying in instalments)
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
Students must attend at least 80% of classes to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided.
If completing the course online, students’ attendance and participation of the live or recorded classes is tracked through Moodle.
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma.
Classroom – QQI Level 6 Employment Law
Examination – 60%
Theory – 40%
Online- Diploma in Employment Law
A Written Assignment of 2,500 words.