“If you can imagine it you can create it”
Why Game Design?
· Create interesting and unique gaming experiences.
· Discover the joy of programming your own games.
· Explore game mechanics and how to recreate them.
· Practice problem solving and outside the box thinking.
· Understand player feedback to allow your game to stand out.
· Learn prototyping and iterative design.
Our Game Design Diploma Course will cover the principles of game design. During this course students will actively participate in the development of a game from conception to completion. The course will explore game design using visual representations of game mechanics along with implementing these mechanics in a dedicated game engine.
You will discover how to create interesting games with iconic mechanics. You will learn how to use the Unity game engine, adding, removing, and modifying inbuild components. Develop skills using C# to create unique and interesting interactions within the game world. Students will learn to analyse games to uncover the mechanics that create the player experience and discover interesting ways to develop these mechanics.
This course has been developed to introduce students to the exciting world of game design, developing their skills to create their own games. This course is suitable for anyone interested in experiencing game design and development in a fun and interactive format.
Diploma in Game Design Content
· Games Development in a dedicated game engine
· Character creation and animation
· Scope documents and Game Design Documents
· Market analysis
· Project Introduction
· Games design principles and mechanics
· Programming custom behaviours using C#
· Adding, editing, and customising game objects in unity
· Creating and animating 2D Assets
· Implementing game audio
· Development cycle of games
Game Mechanics – Game Mechanics are the core elements that make games enjoyable, adding depth and allowing the player to interact with the game.
Unity – Unity is a flexible and reliable game engine that is free to use and is used to create over 60% of games on the mobile market. You will study how to create games in unity, by editing inbuilt components and creating custom behaviours using C#.
Asset Creation – Explore how to create assets to add uniqueness to your games. Discover how to layout sprite sheets, create and implement particle systems and optimise the use of assets in your game.
Development Cycle – Experience the development cycle of a game, from conception to completion. Learners will design and develop their 2D game using the design principles gained throughout the course.
What will I learn from this course?
On this Game Design course, you will gain an understanding of core mechanics, game pillars, and game analysis that will enable you to create your own games. You will also study basic programming principles allowing you to create custom behaviours and interactions within your game.
Upon completion of the course, you will have designed and developed your own game as well as having gained the necessary skills to create more games in the future.
Michael Carstairs is a game designer and developer. He has studied game design for 6 years and has achieved an Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Game Design from TU Dublin. Michael has developed several games that can be found on steam, itch.io, and new grounds. He has focused on game design and programming with a particular focus on AI using Boid behaviors and creating adaptive and scalable solutions to game requirements. Michael brings a wealth of knowledge in games design and development with a particular interest in unique and interesting game mechanics.
Diploma in Game Design Course Fee
(€995 if paying in instalments)
Online course: €795
(895 if paying in instalments)
If paying in instalments by direct debit, the deposit to book a place is €150 and the balance is split into three equal monthly payments.
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
A ‘Pass’ grade on both the digital assignment(s) (Project(s)) as well as in-class participation is required to achieve the Diploma. A ‘Fail’ grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded. Students must attend at least 8 of the 10 course evenings to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided. Likewise, the Project must be uploaded on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
Students will be assessed through two design projects.
The first project will be completed during the duration of the course.
The second project will be completed within one month of cessation of lectures.
These assignments will be based around and thus confirming the students’ learned knowledge of game design and development.
· To participate in this course, you will need to have access to the Unity Hub / Unity Game Engine. Unity personal is free and this is the licence you should choose when downloading unity.
· It is essential that for the duration of this course, you have access to either a laptop or desktop PC to gain the maximum benefit of the learning and to complete the design projects to their best potential.
Why City Colleges
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre location
- Limited class size