The purpose of Diploma in Health & Safety in the Workplace is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment.
Students can take this Diploma in Health & Safety in the Workplace in the classroom and receive a QQI Level 5 Health & Safety in the Workplace Award or take this course online and receive a Diploma in Health & Safety in the Workplace from City Colleges.
The purpose of this Diploma is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment.
Learners will be able to:
1. Analyse the duties of employers and employees as specified in current Safety, Health, and Welfare at work legislation
2. Examine the role of the Health and Safety Authority
3. Explore the role of communication and training in the promotion and provision of health and safety in the workplace
4. Comment on the elements and functions of the safety statement
5. Summarise the factors which contribute to safe and healthy working environments
6. Outline the principles and procedures of good housekeeping in the workplace
7. Explain the causes, prevention, emergency procedures, reporting and recording of accidents and dangerous occurrences
8. Analyse the causes and prevention of fire-related events to include identification of emergency procedures, the fire triangle, and fire equipment
9. Comment on specific hazards and risks when working with equipment to include mechanical and electrical equipment
10. Investigate how personal protective equipment (PPE) is used in the workplace
11. Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials and waste in the workplace to include reference to material safety data sheets (MSDS)
12. Examine the control and associated risks of a range of health and safety issues to include noise, sound, fumes, dust, or any vocationally specific work issue
13. Explain the typical contents of a first aid kit and its appropriate use
14. Examine a range of issues related to infection control to include conditions for the growth and development of micro-organisms, routes of infection, symptoms, ill-health, preventative measures, and emergency procedures for suspected contamination
15. Investigate risk factors in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink, and drugs
16. Interpret a range of safety signs in the workplace
17. Promote safe and healthy working practices in relation to oneself, others, and the workplace
18. Outline risk factors in relation to health to include stress, lifestyle, diet, illness
19. Outline the role of diet and exercise in the promotion of good health.
Online – City Colleges Diploma
Classroom – QQI Level 5 Safety & Health at Work
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding the Diploma.
Classroom – QQI Level 5 in Health & Safety in the Workplace Award
Project – 60%
Examination – Theory 40%
Online – Diploma in Health & Safety in the Workplace
A Written Assignment of 2,500 words.
- Live & fully online
- Archived for review
- City centre location
- Fully interactive
- Limited class sizes
Why City Colleges?
Industry Expert-led courses
Choose from one of our 100 courses, spanning 7 faculties, with over 16,000 graduates
Innovative and flexible study modes
Choose to study in one of our expertly led classroom and online environments
Deposit & instalment Options Available
Sign up to our courses with a deposit and structured payment plan.
We offer fully interactive classroom environment courses