PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN MEDICAL LAW
Prices Starting At €1,450
Study in a classroom environment one evening a week.
Price from €1,550
(Instalment Price: €1,650)
Live online training with real-time instructor-student interaction.
Price from €1,450
(Instalment Price: €1,550)
The Professional Diploma in Medical law is designed for legal professionals, medical professionals, medical staff, data protection practitioners and persons with a general interest in the regulation of Medicine and Healthcare in Ireland.
The Professional Diploma will equip learners with a comprehensive understanding of Medical law in Ireland with a focus on contemporary medical issues. Such issues include: consent, medical research, data protection, litigation of medical negligence claims, medical management and clinical trials.
Week 1 Introduction to the course and principles of clinical negligence
- The field of medical law
- Medical law, medical ethics and bio-ethics
- History of medical law and legal medicine
Week 2 Regulation of healthcare professionals
- The scope of statutory professional regulation
- Structures and functions of medical bodies
- Disciplinary procedures and medical bodies
Week 3 Medical records and access to records
- Clinical record-keeping
- Access to an ownership of notes
- Introduction to data protection law
- Retention of records
- Duty of confidentiality
Week 4 Consent to medical treatment
- Meaning of consent
- Consequences of acting without consent
- Elements of consent
- Practicalities of consent
- Capacity and decision-making
- Treatment refusal
Week 5 Expert evidence and court proceedings
- Issuing proceedings
- Standard of proof
- Discovery and civil litigation procedure as it pertains to medical negligence litigation
- Introduction to expert evidence
- Who is an expert?
- Professional negligence claims and the need for expert reporting
Week 6 Mental health law
- Voluntary admission of mental health patients
- Involuntary admission of adults
- Treatment of the psychiatric patient
- Human rights law and mental health
- Involuntary psychiatrict treatement and detention
- Mental Health Act 2001
Week 7 Assisted Human Reproduction
- Introduction to Assisted Human Reproduction
- Aspects of the regulatory environment
- Regulating himan embryos
- Donor-assisted human reproduction
- Surrogacy and the law
Week 8 End of life
- The withdrawl of treatment
- DNR (do not attempt resusciatiation) Orders
- Planning for end of life
- Powers of Attorney
- Euthanasia and assisted suicide
Week 9 Clinical research on humans and animals
- Clinical research
- Ethical aspects of clinical research on human subjects
- Regulation of clinical research
- Clinicial research on animal subjexts
- Data protection law and clinical research
Week 10 Guest lecture
Mode of delivery: Asynchronous
30 hours over a period of ten weeks
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma in Medical Law. A fail grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded.
The Diploma in Medical Law is assessed by way of written examination (70%) and continuous assessment (30%).
LLB, BL ,Dip. Construction
Alexandra graduated with a first-class law degree in 2018 from Maynooth University. She was called to the Bar in 2019. She has recently achieved a distinction in the Law Society Diploma in Construction Law. Since commencing at the Bar she has been developing her practice in the areas of medical negligence and construction law. She is a member of the Construction Bar Association Executive Commitee, where she regularly provides CPD courses. Alexandra has extensive lecturing experience, she has lectured on our undergraduate business degrees and our Diploma in Construction Law. She is also a lecturer in the Institute of Public Administration in employment law.”
A City College’s Professional Diploma Course is a focused, practical programme designed and delivered by an industry practitioner, that consolidates, upskills or reskills learners in a professional area. They are stand-alone qualifications that indicate that you have been trained in a particular area or specific subject matter.
City College Diplomas are suitable for career minded learners wishing to advance their professional skills and prospects. They are widely accepted by employers and many students are sponsored to study here by their organisation.
In addition to our scheduled Professional Diploma courses, City Colleges can provide bespoke training over 3 – 4 days, please contact Kevin.Coyne@citygroup.ie for further details.
Why City Colleges?
Study options that Suit your Schedule
Study where you want when you want. On Campus, Live Online, and On Demand.
Industry Expert-Led Courses
100+ courses, across subject areas in Business, IT, Psychology, Criminology, Law, Media, Arts & Science with over 16,000 graduates
World Class Teaching
City Colleges Lecturers are industry leaders in their chosen fields
Our commitment to student experience
Our Programme Teams engage, support, and guide our students throughout their programme to ensure that their learning experience is a positive one and prepares them to use their new skills in the workplace.
Cutting Edge Programme Content
Our students enjoy some of the most contemporary and industry-relevant course content, developed by our industry-based practitioners to close skills gaps in the global workforce
Premium courses at affordable prices
City Colleges is committed to ensuring that our education and training programmes are accessible and affordable.