A theoretical and practical introduction to Mindfulness and Wellbeing practice
The Diploma in Mindfulness and Wellbeing Studies at City Colleges is offered as both a theoretical and practical introduction to Mindfulness and Wellbeing practice and to the rapidly growing field of Wellbeing and Mindfulness-based approaches used in healthcare, science and in wider society.
The term Mindfulness relates to a variety of meditative practices involving the deliberate focus of our attention, non-judgmentally, in the present moment as well as to the quality of the awareness that is cultivated in this way.
Wellbeing refers to how we maintain our physical and mental health in the world and how these two aspects interact.
When Mindful awareness is brought to a stressful experience, it allows the possibility of setting aside habitual reactive tendencies, and instead responding to the challenging experience with more clarity and ease. The practice of Mindfulness can also bring an increased awareness of the joyful moments of our lives, moments that we often miss when we are lost in thoughts about the past or the future.
Studies have shown that committed participation in a Mindfulness programme can result in lasting positive effects on health and wellbeing. The Wellbeing practices shared on the programme are also supported by research.
9 CPD credits for members of the Psychological Society of Ireland
Each three-hour course session will be divided into two components:
1 ) A presentation on topics related to Mindfulness and Wellbeing for one to one and a half hour’s duration and
2 ) Practice elements of the MBSR programme, delivered over the ten-week duration of the course
These classes include experiential exercises, group dialogue and reflection.
Whilst our coverage of relevant theory is important, regular Mindfulness and Wellbeing practice is key to developing a personal insight and benefits associated with Mindfulness and Wellbeing practices. It’s strongly recommended that you can devote 45 minutes a day to the guided formal meditation practice.
Mindfulness practice is by nature experimental and so this programme includes a significant element of practical class and home-based exercises. The City Colleges Diploma will also incorporate essential elements of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), as devised by Dr Jon Kabat-Zinn.
The theoretical aspects covered in the City Colleges Diploma in Mindfulness Studies will include:
• The history of contemplative traditions and Buddhist psychology and the development of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
• Introduction to Mindfulness, Positive Psychology and Wellbeing: history and key concepts.
• Thoughts and mental health. Hope and its implications for Wellbeing.
• Forgiveness, kindness, and compassion: research findings.
• Mindfulness and meditation: introduction and mindfulness of breathing.
• Mindfulness and meditation: body scans and gentle yoga.
• Our relationship with our bodies: developing awareness of body, breath and thoughts.
• Positive Psychology and research on mental health through exercise.
• Diet: the microbiome and emerging research into Wellbeing and diet.
• Resilience and Wellbeing: research and practices.
• Transitions across the lifespan: origins, turning points, and destinations.
• Introduction to Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT).
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma. A fail grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded.
Students must attend at least 80% of classes to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided.
The assignment/project must be handed in on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
Why City Colleges?
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre location
- Limited class size