Learn about Psychological Abnormality
The course takes place over 10 weeks with three annual intakes – in February, April and September. The Diploma is comprised of two separate yet related components:
- Theory: Introduction to various concepts and theories concerning how we may best conceptualise, investigate, and work usefully with people through the study and practice of abnormal psychology. Abnormal Psychology is, in fact, a broad collection of diverse sub-fields of study. This is reflected in the range of topics covered throughout.
- Project: Students will also be assessed through a written project to be submitted within one month of cessation of lectures. This written assignment will be a 2,500 word (+/- 200 words) essay detailing either a broad overview of what is meant by the term ‘abnormal psychology’, a description of key features of a specific area within abnormal psychology, or a review of psychological literature critical of the concept of abnormality. Submitted essays will be graded with accompanying feedback. Referencing guidelines will be provided – students will be expected to support their views by referencing a certain amount of published material.
Topics covered will include:
- Abnormal and normal behaviour
- The biological basis of abnormal behaviour
- Depression and mood disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Psychological and Social Perspectives on Abnormality
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
Online course: €895
(€995 if paying in instalments)
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
Why City Colleges?
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre location
- Limited class size
Students must attend at least 80% of classes to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided.
If completing the course online, attendance and participation is tracked through Moodle.
A pass grade on the written assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma.
The assignment/project must be handed in on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.