An introduction to the main topics of modern psychology
The Diploma in Psychology at City Colleges aims to introduce students to the main topics often taught on modern psychology courses. These topics include developmental and lifespan psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology, biological basis of behaviour, personality theory and individual differences, abnormal psychology, research design and methods, and psychological therapies. Students will also gain experience of research through a project to be completed within one month of completion of lectures. The focus of the Diploma is theoretical although discussion and practical examples of relevance will be discussed throughout. Graduates will possess a broad, basic understanding of modern psychology following completion of the Diploma. They may use such learning to decide if further studies in psychology would be of interest to them. Alternatively, students may simply complete the Diploma out of interest regarding the manner in which modern psychology aims to investigate and better understand the human mind and behaviour. Professionals in related disciplines such as counselling, etc, may also be eligible to consider completion of the course for CPD (continuing professional development) purposes.
The course takes place over 10 weeks with three annual intakes – in January, April and September.
1. Explain the main features, characteristics, core principles and concepts of two of the major psychological perspectives
2. Identify the main therapies, interventions, practical and ethical boundaries of each psychological perspective within care and other settings
3. Explain how each perspective contributes to an understanding of individual and group behaviour
4. Gain an understanding of the research methods and ethical issues involved in the study of psychology
5. Apply theory and research to work practice with due regards for ethics
6. Examine the nature of attitudes and beliefs
7. Apply skills/knowledge to typical work-based problems.
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
Online course: €895
(€995 if paying in instalments)
Non-EU students: Call +353 1 4160034
Examination – Theory 40%
Students must attend at least 80% of classes to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided. If completing the course online, attendance and participation is tracked through Moodle.
Why City Colleges?
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre location
- Limited class size
During my time at City Colleges, I really appreciated their flexibility (I work full time), the standard of the teaching, the interesting course and the people I met. The online tools are of a high standard and allowed me to keep up to date with my course whilst I was working remotely. I would recommend a course with City Colleges to everyone.