Students can take this course in the classroom and receive a QQI Level 6 Conflict Management Award or take this course online and receive a Diploma in Mediation and Conflict Resolution from City Colleges.
This course aims to equip participants with key skills in setting up for and managing negotiations in a variety of fractious environments. Participants do not have to be those seeking to be professional negotiators, but rather, managers or professionals who would benefit from having an improved skill-set in this area. The course includes techniques designed to lower the conflict level by accurate assessment and implementation of appropriate responses.
The training would be ideal for those professionals expecting to work in fragile and difficult environments, such as the military, law enforcement, but also all public sector and NGO personnel who would be likely to encounter scenarios where they would need to apply skills as mentioned.
10 weeks, 1 evening per week from 6.30 to 9.30pm.
1. Explain the role, function, and forms of expression of conflict in group and organisational life
2. Discuss the theoretical and practice dimensions of conflict management and conflict resolution in particular similarities and differences between them
3. Demonstrate detailed knowledge of methods and strategies for managing conflict problems including solving, negotiation, passive, smoothing approach, adversarial approach, compromising, withdrawal and avoidance
4. Discuss the role, function and styles of mediation and negotiation in managing conflict
5. Utilise a range of methods to intervene in conflict situation in group and organisational life
6. Demonstrate skills of conflict management in organisational life
7. Present an analytical framework for understanding and managing conflict in group or organisational contexts
8. Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses associated with their personal style of conflict management in group or organisational contexts
9. Demonstrate good practice in managing conflict in group or organisational contexts
The course is assessed by way of continuous assessment (100%).
To be announced.