- The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the principles and ethics underpinning to prepare you for the role of a professional coach.
- It is designed to enable the learner to get a comprehensive look into becoming a Life Coach and to upskill in the area of coaching skills and self-development.
- The Pre-Coaching course will allow the participant to learn skills so they can see the world from a coaching perspective and have an insight into coaching practice and valuable coaching tools.
- The pre coaching course will allow you to see if this is an area that you would like to progress in and if it is the right career choice for you.
- This pre coaching course can be a great adaption to many careers and can open doors to promotion or other opportunities within your workplace.
- The skills and tools can also be very effective to the student in regards to managing their own life choices, setting their own healthy boundaries ending in them becoming a better coach, self-analysis will be part of the reflection lessons.
- A coach should be passionate about creating a safe, supportive environment for their clients and an underlying desire to want to see them do well, while following practice and ethical guidelines at all times. Also, to have explored your reason for wanting to engage in this profession. The pre coaching course will allow you to have some time to work on your own development before becoming a coach.
- People sometimes think that coaching and counselling are similar. Coaching is not the same as counselling, while taking into consideration various life events that may be an important factor with your client and be a very defining presence in their past coaching is about the ‘here and now’ and setting a healthy, clear pathway for your client to move forward and progress with the life they would like to have. We will be looking at the differences between these two practices on this course.
Class 1 – Introduction to Coaching
- Definitions of Coaching Practice
- Why Coaching? What type of people make the best coaches?
- Coaching Vs Therapy
Class 2 – The Client
- Who goes to a Coach and why?
- What are the benefits of Coaching?
- What are the different areas that you can specialise in? Business/Health/Relationship/Mental Health/Mindset, etc
Class 3 – Core Skills of Coaching
- Making sure the client is comfortable.
- Assessing the state, the client is in and using a relaxation tool if necessary
- Listening (verbal and non-verbal)
- Body Language
- Powerful Questions
Class 4– Value Systems
- Our value systems work like our hard drive, when we can clearly identify what they are then it will become so much easier to understand our triggers, what motivates us and it will make it easier to then make decisions that are going to be more in line with our needs and wants
- How to find your clients Value system and how it will affect your consultation with your client
- Value system chart
Class 5– Beliefs/Limiting Beliefs
- How do you know what they are for your client? (Analysis questionnaire used here)
- How to remove the ones that are not working for your client and deciphering if they are true
- What effect is your client’s belief system having on them?
- Self-reflection on own beliefs
Class 6– Coaching Tool the Wheel of Life
- The Wheel of Life is a tool used in every coaching practice as a baseline/other baseline assessment tools will also be taught to reflex the needs of the client
- It looks at various areas of the client’s life and the client is asked use a scale to get a reflection of where they are at in different parts of their lives and what areas are giving them the most trouble or holding them back
- Self-examination of The Wheel of Life for all students (The Coach Wheel of Life graph used here)
- Group discussion on the above
- Client/Coach/Supervisor practical session
Class 7– Communication Skills & Listening Skills
- The use of language and words as clues to your client
- Practical session/Interaction in groups of 3
- Feedback delivery from the group and Instructor
- Boundaries, how to create them, stay clear and what to do if someone is not listening
- Removing barriers
Class 8 – S.M.A.R.T Goals
- This is a goal setting class that will allow firstly the students to set their own goals and to clearly see the importance of being able to help their clients to have goals and be progressive in moving forward
- Goal Plan Sheet
- Class students will set goals 1 week/1 month/3mths/6mths/1 year
Class 9 – Influencers in the Industry
- Who are the leading people in the Industry and why?
- Introduction to Assessment 1 – Details of what is required and deadline dates.
Class 10 – Questions, Feedback and Support
- Exploration and questions
- Student feedback and support
- Demonstrate a broad range of knowledge of the theories and principles underpinning life and workplace coaching while taking a look at what is involved in the coaching process.
- Gain knowledge of coaching ethics, models and strategies within a life coaching and workplace coaching context.
- Apply a range of coaching skills and tools in many varied situations, with interactive class practice and engagement.
- Gain very clear guidelines on implementing boundaries and self-care within the coaching practice.
There will be an assignment for this course and also research/reading/writing outside class hours.
The participant will also be asked to present a learning journal in week 8 as part of their overall grade.
The participant will be awarded a certificate from City Colleges upon completion of the course.
Helen Walsh is an international Life and Health Coach and one of Ireland’s leading wellness experts. Her portfolio of clients include some of the biggest names from entertainment, politics, media and business,Helen is best known for motivating and supporting thousands of people to achieve their individual goals.
Helen has extensive experience in Fitness, Psychology, Coaching,she also has a backround in Cognitive behavioral therapy and Counselling combined with a intuitive style which enables Helen to take a holistic approach of working on the psychological, physical and energetic levels of each client.
Helen has taught Coaching and Self Development at Transition Year level in one of the most prestigious schools in Dublin and this year sees Helen go into her 20th year with Belvedere College,she has also been part of Fitness and Health training programmes with An Gardai Siochana and has worked as a mentor with many STEP and OUTREACH Programmes in the YMCA.